CoeGSS aims to build up a centre of excellence for Global Systems Science (GSS) and with this drive the uptake of High Performance Computing (HPC) and High Performance Data Analytics (HPDA) in order to achieve better decision making for global problems.
Developing evidence and understanding concerning Global Systems and related policies is rapidly becoming a vital challenge for modern societies. It is being tackled by the newly-emerged scientific domain of GSS. HPC is reaching the level of an ultimate tool empowering GSS to address extremely complex societal and scientific problems. By the nature of the problems addressed in typical GSS applications, the relevant datasets are mostly very big and are expected to grow up tremendously as well as to include highly heterogeneous data sources. HPDA is thus essential for practical application of GSS.
A key contribution of CoeGSS to GSS will be the development of an HPC-based framework to generate customized synthetic populations for GSS applications. By enriching GSS applications to be fully supported by state-of-the-art HPC technologies, the project will be able to provide decision-makers and civil society with detailed analyses, including real-time assessments, of global risks and opportunities.
CoeGSS will carry out three pilot studies related to three selected global challenges:
- The diffusion of health-relevant social habits
- The possibility of green growth
- The dynamics of global urbanization.
The use of the computer-based methods will be embedded in stakeholder and expert dialogues that provide an on-going feedback from practitioners.
- Development of a risk profile for the CoeGSS
- Methodological and organizational support for the pilot-studies' related expert-workshops for joint data interpretation and knowledge discovery
- Assistance in outreach and communication activities
- University of Potsdam, Germany
- Atos Spain SA, Spain
- Chalmers Tekniska Hoegskola AB, Sweden
- The Cosmo Company SAS, France
- CSP ICT Innovation
- Global Climate Forum eV, Germany
- Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca, Italy
- Institute for Scientific Interchange, Italy
- Instytut Chemili Bioorganicznej Polskiej Akademii Nauk, United Kingdom
- Torino Piemonte Internet eXchange, Italy
- University of Stuttgart, Germany